Geronimo's servlet, jsp, and el specs were copied from Tomcat since at the time their jars were not available in a maven repo. There has been some drift between Geronimo's and Tomcat's copies of these specs, but I provided some patches that they applied to tomcat6.0.x/ trunk that should make their copy pass all tests.

Tomcat is now publishing their jars to maven central, so if we can wait for their next release (6.0.14) then we could use Tomcat's servlet, jsp, and el spec jars for Geronimo 2.0 instead of releasing and maintaining our own copy. The advantage would be that we could pick up Tomcat's bug fixes, e.g. they have already fixed the bug reported in GERONIMO-3182. And of course we could also avoid the extra maintenance and release management overhead. I think it would help avoid confusing projects that depend on those specs as well?

Best wishes,
Paul