Not sure if we are thinking about the same thing.

I was thinking about embedding the EJB engine within a SE so that you can
deploy annotated POJOs (EJB3)
and leverage the EJB3 features (transactions, security, CMP, injection,
etc...).  For these POJOs to be invoked
from the JBI bus, you need to marshall / unmarshall the xml messages to
POJOs invocations and the reverse.
This is what is actually done in jsr181 SE (or the CXF SE), but these do not
leverage EJB features, so I was just
thinking about embedding OpenEJB inside CXF and write the same kind of
integration you would have inside a JEE5
app server for EJB3 / web services.   One should be able to combine WS and
EJB3 annotations to create a stateless
EJB that could be exposed as a service on the JBI bus, and from this POJO,
you could also use the CMP stuff to provide
database access.   If you do not put any annotations, it should behave the
same way as before in jsr181 or CXF-SE.

So in my mind, OpenEJB is only used when the component is acting as a
provider.  Using CXF seeems a good idea for
the marshalling / ws stuff for the following reasons:
  * this is the next version of xfire (there is no more development in
xfire)
  * the OpenEJB / CXF integration has already been done in Geronimo
2.0somehow (no idea how reusable it is)

Makes sense ?