I pick up the OSGI point.
I'm currently experimenting with OSGi as a container for ServiceMix (and
ActiveMQ, CXF, etc ...).
I have done a few experiments using felix and creating a few bundles (rmi
registry, jmx server, transaction manger, etc ...)
See
http://fisheye6.cenqua.com/browse/servicemix/branches/osgi/servicemix-osgi
But I haven't seen much discussion about that.

Are you talking about throwing gbeans and using OSGi as the basis for
Geronimo instead ?