On 7/2/07, Guillaume Nodet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'd like to start a discussion on splitting the container and
components release cycles.   What do people think about that ?
Should we keep the container and all the components in a single
release like we have done so far, or should we split these releases
and release the components separately from the container ?

Given the growing size of the distribution

The first issue I worry is making sure that the container version can
handle a particular component version. This can probably be remedied
by adding some type of version check method down in the
AsynBaseLifeCycle

The second issue I worry about are the examples that ship with the
distribution, i.e., basic, bridge, file, loan-broker,  servicemix-web,
ws-sec and wsdl-first. How will we manage appropriate versions of
these for the components that they use? I suppose the easiest way to
manage this is to keep the examples with the container.

A third issue we should consider is how users will download the
container and each separate component. It would probably behoove us to
continue to release a container distribution with what we identify as
a core set of components that will always be included in the SMX
distribution. This will help to minimize the pain that newbies might
experience in the separate downloads. That and we need to improve the
documentation to include a step-by-step walk through of getting
started - I can't stress this enough. (We need documentation
contributions in bad way!).

Lastly, I think that some experimentation is needed to prove this out.
I wouldn't advise carrying this out for the next release. We should
take some time to prove this out and allow folks to test out not only
the software, but also the new docs that state how to go about using
this new style of distribution.

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print unpack("u30","D0G)[EMAIL
PROTECTED]&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/
Castor - http://castor.org/