On 7/30/07, Kevan Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2007, at 1:41 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:
>

> On 7/28/07, Kevan Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > On Jul 26, 2007, at 1:21 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:
> >
> > How about adding a "Tech Preview" portlet group in Admin Console in G
> > 2.0 where we can include the portlets (for e.g., the "Create Plan"
> > portlet Shiva is working on.  See
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3254
> > ) for which user feedback will play a great role in improving those
> > further.  Once we decide on whether to retain those or not, we can either
> > move them out to a different group or remove them from Admin Console
> > accordingly.
> >

> > Some of the new pluggable console support would have helped, here. But
> > that's not going into 2.0. Personally, sounds like this should go into
> > trunk, if it's not ready... Can still get good feedback...
> >
> > --kevan
> >

> The idea is that if these portlets go in as part of a release with
> binaries readily available for download, we have a better chance of getting
> more users to try the portlets and possibly provide some feedback too in the
> linked wiki pages.  If it goes only into trunk, the users will still have to
> build the binaries from trunk, which they may not want to/may not succeed
> due to some reason or the other.
>

> Yes, I understood the idea.
>
> If a committer thinks that this code is ready and wants to commit it, then
> why isn't it in trunk? If it was in trunk, then we could evaluate and
> discuss getting it into branches/2.0. I'm currently doubtful that it should
> go into 2.0...

I am not referring to code that may be delivering 100% of what it is
expected to deliver.  Such code need not be put in a "Tech Preview"
category.  You may call this Tech Preview category as our own "incubator".
Whatever is put under Tech Preview will be improved and  "graduate" into the
next release (which will mostly be from the 'trunk') based on community's
response.  If the community does not see a value, we may even get rid of it
altogether.

Vamsi