On Aug 10, 2007, at 12:52 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

On Aug 9, 2007, at 6:50 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

On 8/4/07, David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm a bit confused though about the inclusion of cddl xsds in apache
svn since IIUC you have indicated xsds are definitely "source
code" (I completely agree) and the draft 3rd party licensing page
says cddl source can't be in apache releases. It doesn't say whether a few files can be in svn or not AFAICT but that certainly looks like
it would prohibit shipping an asf jar with any cddl xsds in it.

I've updated the draft 3rd party licensing page:

http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html

+1

Thanks for the update, Sam!

Agreed. Also, thanks for the timely and informative responses. They were very helpful in deciding how to move forward on this matter.

IIUC, Geronimo makes two uses of the CDDL-licensed xsd files.

1. The unmodified xsd files are available to the xml parser to avoid downloading the files from the internet during operation.

2. The unmodified xsd files are "compiled" into Java classes which are then compiled into binary form for execution.

The new policy seems to address both cases, assuming that Geronimo chooses to update their copies of the files to the CDDL-licensed versions.

Just to be precise, Geronimo does not currently use CDDL-licensed schema files. Moving to the CDDL-licensed versions of these schema files is, IMO, the right thing to do. I intend to start this next week.

There's still the question of how the CDDL license extends to the resultant binaries. Something for next week, I guess...