Hi Shiva,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of those discussions, I hadn't seen them on previous searches. The work I've currently done is an XDoclet plugin, and therefore is using XDoclet style annotations at the moment.

I haven't personally done much with EJB3, and hence haven't really had much need to use the new JSR-175 annotations, but I certainly think its right to consider providing a solution using those as well. I'm quite happy to work on something to use JSR-175 annotations too - I'm not sure how much overlap it'll have with what I've already done, but I think it might have some overlap with the work you've already done with the plan generation wizard.

Currently I only have one Geronimo specific annotation in my XDoclet plugin, and I'll need a few more, but largely I've used the standard EJB annotations. Presumably the same would apply using JSR-175 annotations, but providing Geronimo specific annotations might mean that apps might break on other app servers (or could developers get away with including a small jar file with the Geronimo annotations in their ear files)?

One other thing - I've logged this as a JIRA issue - is this necessary / should it be assigned to me, or anything like that?

Regards

Jon

Shiva Kumar H R wrote:
Welcome Jon :-)
This is very much needed.

Following discussions will tell you about some of the similar work happening around: * http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg39672.html <http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg39672.html>
* http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg46831.html
* http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg49216.html

One concern as mentioned in http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg37264.html <http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg37264.html> is whether such annotations should be based on XDoclet or JSR-175? With EJB 3.0 having JSR-175 annotations, it might be more intuitive for developers to have OpenEJB/Geronimo specific annotations also to be based on JSR-175. Request you to give a thought on these.

Comments welcome.

- Shiva