On 8/24/07, Nodet Guillaume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So if i understand you correctly, you are mostly concerned of enhancing
> the JMS flow in the following areas:
>    * avoid ping/pong and lower bandwidth requirement
>        (avoid sending the whole exchange and only send the actual data)
>    * enhance security (authentication, encryption ?)
>    * enhance the endoint registry wrt to services or instances going
> up and down

Did I catch you correcty ?

Yes.    The registry piece is a little interesting  for us to.  Because we
are integrating "hardware" via service components we've had to abstract the
notion of capabilities.  It would be nice if the registry were extensible.

For the bandwidh requirement, I'm sure we can do that and reconstruct
> a fake
> exchange on the other side.  We would loose informations wrt to the
> input message
> but I don't think this would be too much a problem.  For the ping/
> pong stuff, I'm sure
> we can find a way to optimize it somehow.  We may have troubles
> handling the
> InOptionalOut pattern though, as you don't really know if you will
> receive an Out
> message or nothing, but for the other simple patterns (InOnly and
> InOut) it should
> be quite easy to send back the exchange with a DONE status just after
> having send
> the jms message containing the In or Out.

I think as long as everything is optional wrt to optimizations the fact that
it may exclude various patterns is acceptable.  We've done everything in an
InOnly world.

On the security subject, I know there is lots to do, but this is an
> area i'm not so familiar
> with.  My biggest concern is that we security can be applied at the
> connection level
> or at the message level.  NMR-NMR security for the JMS flow could be
> delegated
> to ActiveMQ i guess (using AMQ security features).

Agreed.  It is now...the Network of Brokers feature.  But, there is not
really any concept of policy.

On the registry side, I think one of the main problem is that there
> is no way to tell the
> difference between an endpoint that goes down because the server is
> no more
> accessibe (it will be up again at a later time) or because the
> endpoint has been
> undeployed.  Imho, this is a key requirement to be able to make
> routing decisions.
> I don't know yet how to handle this problem:  if a server has been
> shutdown, it may
> never go up again...

Yeh, like if it has been blown up by an IED...

> So i'm still not sure how to handle the problem :-(
Yep, you are right.  Right now if we undeploy a service assembly, its
endpoint still exists, and messages are still routed to it.  Could just be a
bug.  ; }

I'm sure more discussion on this will follow.

Cheers,