On Aug 25, 2007, at 5:44 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

From my standpoint, it would be greatly preferred if you could find a way
to leave spring for CXF.   There is definitely a lot of functionality
that would be lost if spring is not available. In particular, if a user
want to configure various things like message logging or
WS-Addressing/WS-RM, https SSL keys, keep-alives and chunking, etc...,
without the spring config, it becomes quite a bit harder.   For very
basic usage, spring is optional.   But once you want some
customizations, you really need it.

OK. First I've heard of loss of functionality... Is there loss of functionality? Or things become harder without Spring? If things become harder, an important question is who pays the price? The embedder (i.e. us)? Or the user?

I have no real issue with our CXF server module requiring Spring.

I'm less happy if we're requiring that Spring be accessible from a client application module to configure CXF web services client capabilities.

I'm way less happy if we require the same Spring instance be accessible from the CXF server module and the client application module. This is the case, at the moment. I think this needs to be changed.

I suppose one option might be to document how to put spring back in if
someone needs it. We could then add more advanced thing to those docs
like where to get the additional jars for WS-RM/WS-A/WS-Security, JMS
transports, etc....   Kind of an "Advanced WebServices with CXF" type
docs.

Can you point me to documentation on how a user configures this functionality currently?