On Aug 6, 2007, at 9:59 AM, Donald Woods wrote:
Anything more than 6 to 8 groupings could cause chaos (just like at our current release process which takes weeks to get everything voted and released...) After cleanup of server to move the samples to /samples and ApacheDS to /plugins, we should consider the more drastic changes, like moving the base Admin Console support (via Pluto 1.2) out to / plugins and start moving the Portlets into the actual modules/ configs that they administer....

Some other "grouping" that may make sense are -
- core - renamed /server/modules directory promoted to a top-level grouping and only contains server modules
- configs - current configs, which can be installed as plugins

I'd really like to see the grouping of just configuration modules go away. I firmly believe that configuration modules should live right next to the code modules for which they are configuration for.

- assemblies - current assemblies, which require the configs as input

I'd like to see the main assembly configuration split off from the server/core/whatever stuff. Actually, I'd like to see the core/ framework as a sub-project, then have the server sub-project server only to configure the plugins to be pulled in and the assembly configurations for the javaee server distributions.

--jason