Is this working for the Tomcat assembly?  If not...can it soon?

Thanks,

Jeff
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 8, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Jason Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

A little bit more insight into what I'm thinking of doing... since some of you can't read minds to well :-P

I'd like to convert all of the assemblies to basically look like what the assemblies/geronimo-jetty6-javaee5-gshell produces.

And then I'd like to start converting the other cli bits to gshell command impls, like: deployer, client and shutdown.

And then (maybe around the same time or before the above), I'd like to adapt the gshell of target jvm bits to load jars from the repository, instead of using the lib/* bits.

A little background for those who haven't looked at assemblies/ geronimo-jetty6-javaee5-gshell and what it produces from a lib/* perspective. Right now I've set up the assembly to produce:

   geronimo-jetty6-javaee5-gshell-2.1-SNAPSHOT/lib
   geronimo-jetty6-javaee5-gshell-2.1-SNAPSHOT/lib/boot
   geronimo-jetty6-javaee5-gshell-2.1-SNAPSHOT/lib/endorsed
   geronimo-jetty6-javaee5-gshell-2.1-SNAPSHOT/lib/gshell

Where the bits in lib/* and lib/endorsed/* are the same as they were before. The bits in lib/boot/* and lib/gshell/* are specific to gshell. And normally a gshell installation would have everything I put into lib/gshell/* into lib/*, but I moved them to a sub dir for now... since the bin/*.jar's load jars from the ../lib/* dirs.

The lib/boot/* stuff is the very minimal gshell bootstrap classes, which setup up the other happiness... and let you do things like:

java -jar ./geronimo-jetty6-javaee5-gshell-2.1-SNAPSHOT/lib/boot/ gshell-bootstrap.jar

And that will give you a nice shell... or

java -jar ./geronimo-jetty6-javaee5-gshell-2.1-SNAPSHOT/lib/boot/ gshell-bootstrap.jar start-server

That will launch the G server process using all of the right - Djava.ext.dirs and whatever properties that we currently have hacked into platform scripts.

Anyways, so the idea is to move all of the bits which are current in the lib/* into the repository, and then configure the gshell command impl to load put the correct dependency artifacts onto the classpath of the target jvm that is booted up. This will augment the existing kernel bootstrap from repo stuff, putting evertying except what is needed from gshell into the repository...

And really, what I'd like to eventually get to is having the bootstrap from the repository... so that everything except for what is now it lib/boot/* and lib/endorsed/* can live in the repository like happy little communistic jars should be :-P

* * *

And then there are longer term things for GShell...

Remote administration (via, telnet, ssh, or custom ssl protocol... last is most likely to actually happen soonish)

Process management, which is great for clusters, or staging -> production management. A full suite of command-line tools which can manage the configuration of a server... easily. So, for example, lets say you've got a configuration that is working really well for you... but you want to play with something new...

So you might:

   ./bin/gsh backup-configuration before-mucking
   ./bin/gsh start-server

And then go and change a whole bunch of stuff... and it doesn't work... yikes... so rollback...

   ./bin/gsh backup-configuration hosed-server
   ./bin/gsh restore-configuration before-mucking
   ./bin/gsh start-server

And then maybe you want to play with the "hosed-server" configuration again...

   ./bin/gsh start-server --configuration hosed-server

Of course, all of these could have been run from a single ./bin/gsh, but just for clarity, you can run them one off too.

Maybe list or mange the configurations

   ./bin/gsh list-configurations
   ./bin/gsh remove-configuration some-unwanted-config
   ./bin/gsh copy-configuration default some-new-config

The sky is the limit really... for what kind of management we can do...

Lets say you wanted to do the above on a remote node?

   ./bin/gsh remote-shell someserver:9443
   Connecting to someserver:9447...
   Connected

   username: system
password: **** (remember this is all jline, so we can mask passwords like one woudl expect)

   someserver:9447 > list-configurations
   someserver:9447 > remove-configuration some-unwanted-config
   someserver:9447 > copy-configuration default some-new-config

So, all of these operations would happen on the node named "someserver" listening on 9443 (over ssl of course). Or how about you want to reboot a server remotely?

   someserver:9447 > restart-server now
   Geronimo server shutting down...
   Geronimo server shutdown.
   Geronimo server starting...
   Geronimo server started in ...

Since GShell manages the processes its really easy to perform a full restart of a Server w/o needing magical platform scripting muck. And it will just work the same on each platform too.

Once we have clustering, then we can do the same kinda thing for an entire cluster of nodes...

   someserver:9447 > restart-cluster now
   Shutting down 2 nodes...
   <node1> Geronimo server shutting down...
   <node1>....
   <node2> Geronimo server shutting down...
   <node2>....
   <node1>Geronimo server shutdown.
   <node2>Geronimo server shutdown.
   Starting up 2 nodes...
   <node1>Geronimo server starting...
   <node1>..
   <node2>Geronimo server starting...
   <node2>..
   <node1>Geronimo server started in ...
   <node2>Geronimo server started in ...
   Started up 2 nodes.

And well, if you had some kinda script file which controlled say a logical grouping of nodes you could easily invoke that script (ya even on a remote system) and it will go and do it:

someserver:9447 > script -l groovy local:file://restart- universe.groovy qa-universe

The local: bit of the uri siginals the local URL handler to be used, which will cause the file://restart-universe.groovy to be loaded from the gsh instance where you are actually logged into (and ran the remote-shell gshell command) and will pipe its contents securely to the remote shell running on someserver:9447 and pass it to the script command to execute.

The restart-universe.groovy might look something like this:

<snip>
import universe.Lookup

assert args.size == 1 : 'Missing universe name'

def universe = args[0]

// Look up a list of nodes (for now say they are basically hostname:port)
def nodes = Lookup.lookup(universe)

log.info("Stopping universe ${universe}...")
nodes.each { host ->
   shell.execute("remove-shell $host stop-server")
}
log.info("Universe ${universe} stopped")

log.info("Starting universe ${universe}...")
nodes.each { host ->
   shell.execute("remove-shell $host start-server")
}
log.info("Universe ${universe} started")
</snip>

Its kinda crude script, but I think you get the general point...

* * *

Anyways... I see... well, *HUGE* potential for this stuff...

And really, a lot of what I just described above isn't that far into fantasy, its all relatively easy to implement on top of GShell... as it is now (or really as it was a year+ ago when I wrote it). Its really a matter of do others see the same value... and do others see the vision of using GShell as the core process launcher to allow things like "restart-server", or a "stop-server; copy-configuration default known-good; copy-configuration default testing; start- server", or that uber-fancy remote-shell muck.

So, I'm gonna give y'all a few days to grok (or try to) what I've just spit out... please ask questions or comment, as I like to know I'm not just talking to myself here.

And then maybe later next week, we might vote or come to some other consensus that this is the right direction for Geronimo, and well... then I'll make it become reality.

Aighty, and now I'll shut up :-P

--jason