This is excellent...I'll give it a spin today .

On Sep 10, 2007, at 5:03 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:

Recent work on GERONIMO-3413 provides a new admin console with two main improvements: - New system modules and 3rd party plugins can dynamically add and remove their portlets in the admin console - It has a smaller footrpint and minimal requirements on what's running in the server. You can, for example, use this new console in the minimal assemblies where Dojo and many jee5 components are not present. As you customize your server the corresponding admin portlets are dynamically added/removed from the admin console.

To try it out, build yourself a 2.1-SNAPSHOT minimal assembly or you can use a jee5 assembly if you undeploy the old admin console first. Then: - svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins/console/ trunk
-  cd trunk
-  mvn install
- <G>/bin/deploy.sh install-plugin console-tomcat/target/console- tomcat-1.0-SNAPSHOT.car (for tomcat)
     or
- <G>/bin/deploy.sh install-plugin console-jetty/target/console- jetty-1.0-SNAPSHOT.car (for jetty)

Then at:
    http://localhost:8080/console

you will see the "base" console that only has the portlets for deployment, plugin management, security, etc. The other admin portlets you might recall from the old admin console can be selectively installed from the plugins available at:
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins

using steps similar to above. Note, the directory, roller, spring, and tuscany plugins in that area of svn don't provide admin console portlets yet. Actually I don't know if those plugins are compatible with Geronimo 2.1-SNAPSHOT since David has implemented a lot of improvements to the plugin system lately.

Like I mentioned above, in 2.1-SNAPSHOT the old admin console is still pre-deployed in the jee5 assemblies while we figure out how to restructure svn and the build process around the plugin concepts. The new admin console is implemented as a plugin outside of server/trunk, so it should be easy to swap out the console bits out once we have everything else in place. If we want to support the new console in an upcoming 2.0.x release of Geronimo then David's recent changes to the car-maven-plugin, plugin schema, and plugin installer would need to be backported to the 2.0 branch, if that's appropriate.

Also, I have some of the artifacts staged in my personal ASF area so that it's easier for you to build and test things out. After a few days for collecting feedback I will deploy those artifacts to the ASF snapshot repo if no major issues are identified.

Various todos:
- drive out the remaining bugs and rough spots. Like the JMX viewer has some problems. - fix weird http session problem in jetty, don't know if its a bug in jetty, pluto, or the console code
-  try to simplify the security model
-  update the doc on wiki
-  clean up poms

Best wishes,