Thanks Ted, I see now. So these users might have their own intranet version of an Update Site. I'll open a process improvement JIRA targeted for the next release......

Ted Kirby wrote:
Thanks.  Yes, I think it is an option we should offer, for users who
can not use the Eclipse Update Manager to install code from the
Internet due to firewall or proxy restrictions.  If you use the
Eclipse Update Manager to install a plugin, you can also use it to
uninstall nicely.

Ted Kirby