A quick investigation into this gave rise to some insights and more questions -

Insights:
1) An explicit-versions.properties gets generated by the PackageMojo
while building every config.
2) I doubt if this is getting serialized into the car. So I am unsure
if this ever gets used.
3) An explicit-version.properties gets generated by the
InstallModulesMojo while building assembles in 2.0 but not in trunk.
4) And obviously, we are not using InstallModulesMojo for assembly in trunk.

Questions:
1) what is the explicit-version.properties used for (in configs and in
2.0 assembly) ?
2) what is the geronimo-dependency.xml used for ? (a handful of
modules contain it)

Thanx
Prasad