On Nov 2, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

On Nov 2, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

Can you be more specific here? What operations and how does a message make things any more dynamic? Is this a web console only concern or is
it also a command line concern?

Yes. Let me give you an example. Recently I was deploying a
configuration. For a while the wheels turned and then I received an
operation successful message. However, the deployment had spewn a
boatload of stack traces to the geronimo.log file.

In another example, the Websphere App Server shows informational
messages as an app is being deployed. That is quite reassuring to an
administrator.

For now, this is a console-only concern.

The console already provides this type of feedback while installing a plugin. Downloading JDBC drivers using the db wizard provides it as well. It should be pretty straightforward to use that same ajax widget to show progress info in the deployment portlet if that's desirable. I can't really think of any other console actions that take a non-trivial amount of time to complete. Maybe start/stop components in some cases.

I think more important than dynamic feedback is accurate feedback on whether the operation failed. Maybe things have gotten better lately but my expectation honed through years of frustration is that to really find out if a console operation succeeded I have to look in the cli console or logs for the pages of stack trace that were suppressed in the admin console.

thanks
david jencks

Best wishes,
Paul