It's not altogether clear from the spec, but...(IIRC)

- if you set excludeUnlistedClasses in persistence.xml then we're supposed to ignore any jar file urls - if you don't set excludeUnlistedClasses we're supposed to ignore any class names you provide and rely completely on scanning all jar files listed to find the classes to enhance.

Again IIRC openjpa had some major problems dealing with listed classes if you supplied both.