AHC is a framework that allows appllications that need to assemble http requests from a variety of other http sources. Rather than have to serialize the requests or spin off a thread for each request, this interface uses the Mina NIO framework to perform each of the requests asynchronously.

Prasad wrote a sample benchmark application to test this out:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/samples/trunk/samples/async-http

The benchmark results are fairly impressive. This can provide some major throughput improvements to these types of applications.