Turns out there's this in the genesis pom:

            <plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
                <configuration>
<tagBase>https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/genesis/tags/ </tagBase>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

So that's going to be the fixed value overriding any <scm*> elements in the pom or *child* pom. In order to change the fixed value which overrides the plugin generated default you have to once again set the fixed tagBase to something else in your child pom as follows:

            <plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
                <configuration>
<tagBase>https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/components/txmanager/tags/ </tagBase>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>