Sangjin Lee wrote:
The modified patch is there on JIRA.  Some follow-up discussions...

I think the current implementation works well, but one thing that's difficult to do is to collecting timing data. For example, some of the most important instrumentation data are things like average response time (from request start to request complete) and average connect time (from connect start to connect complete).

Currently the context object that's available to monitoring listeners is the request object, along with the timestamp of the event itself. To be able to compute a response time for a given request, one would need to take the timestamp from the request start event, associate it with the request, and store it on the listener. When the request complete event fires, then one would need to look up the stored data using the request object as a key to retrieve the timestamp for the request start event, compute the delta, and store the delta.

While all this is possible, it has a number of issues, not the least of which is that one would need to maintain a map of request to start time (as well as request to connect time). This would bloat memory as well as other implications.

A substantially easier solution would be to provide the request start time and connect start time as part of the information that's passed to the monitoring listener. Then listeners could simply compute the diff to get the elapsed time very easily with no need to maintain maps of any kind. This could be either part of the request object itself, or if desirable, one could consider a separate context or event object that contains this information. What do you think?

Thanks,
Sangjin