It would be nice to have this alternative available in the next releases.

Would this later become the new "minimal" dist? I mean the framework is as
minimal as minimal can get, right!?

In any case, we'll need to fill the documentation gaps we are having today
around the plugin architecture, how to install and manage them. If we would be
voting, I would give a +1 as long as we provide the supporting documentation.

Cheers!
Hernan

Joe Bohn wrote:

With our 2.1 distribution (as with earlier distributions) we are only providing the javaee5 & minimal assemblies. Are we ever planning to make the geronimo-framework assembly available in a distribution so that a user could start from scratch (not even a web container) and build up a server by installing plugins?

That was the original intent when we created this assembly. I know that the originally framework included enough deployment capability to deploy plugins. However, I'm not certain that is still the case (I haven't tried in a long time). Assuming you can still install plugins (or we add that back in), I think it makes sense to distribute this assembly. BTW, I'm not proposing this for 2.1 given that it is nearly completely baked.

What do others think?

Joe