On Mar 13, 2008, at 9:25 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

I'm trying to restart the discussion on the start-server command and
the hard-coded user credentials to see if we can fix this somehow.

Right now, the start-server command will poll the server periodically
using JMX to see if the server started up ok. That's why it needs
username/password to check on the status of the server.

Jason below described one idea how we might fix/improve the
start-server command.

I'm wondering if we need to poll the server at all. If the server is
running in the foreground the user will know if the server started up
ok or not from looking at the console. And even if the server is
started up in the background, the command should return as soon as the
server process forked ok and not wait until the server finishes
starting up. So maybe we should separate the process of starting the
server from checking if the server started up ok. For example, add
isServerRunning or waitForServer gsh commands (which would require
creds) and make the start-server command just fork the server process
(no creds required).

Thoughts?

OK. IIRC the idea behind the current behavior was so you could write scripts that start the server, then do stuff once it is running. However I doubt this was explicit for the gshell command... Anyway I'd be happy with a separate "isServerRunning(boolean wait)" type command.

thanks
david jencks

Jarek