Hi Remya,
here are a couple of tips for understanding the deployment plans

Schema documentation for geronimo-web.xml
http://geronimo.apache.org/schemas-2.1/docs/geronimo-web-2.0.1.xsd.html

If you want to try Geronimo 2.1 (which I would encourage you to do so) you can
give a shot to the deployment plan wizard
(http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/deployment-plan-wizard.html ). It will
create a deployment plan for you at deployment time, if you are using
annotations it's even easier!

Back to your specific quesitons, <environment>, <moduleId> and <artifactId>. These are how you uniquely identify your application (or any other resource) within Geronimo.
<moduleId> encloses <groupId>, <artifactId>, <version> and <type>. These
ultimately identify the resource in the repository.

<moduleId> is defined within the <environment> tag which also encloses the dependencies
your application may have. For instance a database connection pool, you'd be adding that dependency
there, all enclosed within the appropriate <dependencies><dependency> tags. The deployment
plan wizard link I included above provides more examples on this.

The deployment plans documentation is still in progress for Geronimo 2.1 (
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/deployment-plans.html ), you may still find
useful docs from previous releases with more details on the plans (
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC12/geronimo-webxml.html )

HTH

Cheers!
Hernan

remya wrote:
I am a beginner with Geronimo and would like to know the different steps that
needs to be followed while writing my first geronimo-web.xml

While I was searching for some samples on the net, I came across several
elements in geronimo-web.xml, which was quite confusing to me, like
<environment>, <moduleId> and <artifactId>.

I had mentioned <context-root> for my application, but is that alone not
enough for my application to be deployed and run?

Please do help me in this regard with a suitable reply.

Thanks
Remya