I agree that the current situation is bad. I would like to resolve it by:
- removing all custom svn:ignore properties
- providing some documentation on setting up your global ignores
- making sure that we don't require any non-standard svn:ignore settings.

Here's why:

- having to set up svn:ignore for a new project is too hard. I never remember :-). Anyone using maven needs to have target in their global svn ignores anyway. - you need global svn ignores anyway for the IDE-specific files like .ipr for IDEA. Our checked-in svn:ignore settings definitely should not cater to any particular IDE - basic maven hygiene requires that everything except such IDE files and target be checked in.

thanks
david jencks