On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I must be missing something.  That legacy code would not need to change.
> The whiteboard pattern only obviates the need to scavenge every bundle the
> META-INF/services entries.  The rest works as you say.
>
>  But, as I think about it some more, I'm thinking that this is over
> engineering it.  Let's drop this aspect of the thread.

Actually it may be a good idea.  I think it would allow running
multiple versions concurrently.
This would be true for jaxb 2.0 / 2.1 I think.  The reason is that the
way I've done that, if you
deploy a jaxb 2.1 spec jar, it could try to create a jaxb 2.0
implementation.  However, using the
whiteboard pattern, the implementation bundle would register its own
factory in OSGi, while the
spec jar would listen for compatible services.  The benefit is that
OSGi can check the service
implementation wrt to classloader constraints and would not allow the
jaxb 2.1 spec bundle to
see a service implementing jaxb 2.0.   This would only work if we use
the versions on the packages,
but it may be worth the extra work.

--
Cheers,