Matt Hogstrom wrote:
I did a quick search on the web for what it would take to build two systems. Here is the initial SWAG.

SuperMicro CSE-825S2-R700LPV U2 Rackmountable eATX Case (700W PSU, Silver) $750 x 2 = $1500 Sony DRU190A 20X DVD Rewritable Drive - 20x DVD±R $40 x 2 = 80 Dynatron H53G 2U CPU Heatsink For Intel Xeon $50 x 4 = 200 Memory - 2GB DDR2 667 ECC Fully Buffered $80 x 16 = 1280 Disk - Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD7500AYYS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA $200 x 4 = 800

Here is a SWAG at what we'd need to put two 8-core 16GB systems with logical mirroring 750GB storage. The cost is $3860 from the above. I'd round up to $4000 for tax, shipping, etc.

We might be able to buy other systems for a lower price point. I've rounded to be conservative on cost. I would Run Linux with Xen and 4 VM's per server which would give us 8 server instances to work from.

Thoughts welcome.

Motherboard Information
http://shopper.cnet.com/cases/supermicro-cse-825s2-r700lpv/4014-3030_9-31954268.html

Heatsink Information
http://www.netfreez.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=tags&searchstr=xeon

DVD Information
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3569869&CatId=482

Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208200

Disk
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136144

Matt,

This is great detail. Thanks for pulling it together. I think it would be great if we could build and donate those machines ... but from some discussions with infra it seems they would prefer to order machines directly. That way they can call in for support as the owners of the machines and they can ensure that they meet all of their requirements for power supplies, rack dimensions, rails, etc ... plus have some general standards in the configuration. Anything we can do to make their life easier is a plus.

I will use your detailed analysis for the request though, which I plan to have in a proposal on this list very soon.

Thanks,
Joe