I attempted to create a version compatibility plugin such that plugins with dependencies on 2.1 artifacts could attempt to be installed in a 2.2-SNAPSHOT server image (mapping 2.1 car artifacts to 2.2-SNAPSHOT car artifacts). However, thus far I'm not having any success.

The plugin is fairly simple. Just a bunch of entries for artifact aliases and no other content:

<plugin-artifact>
<artifact-alias key="org.apache.geronimo.configs/jasper//car">org.apache.geronimo.configs/jasper/2.2-SNAPSHOT/car</artifact-alias> <artifact-alias key="org.apache.geronimo.configs/jasper/2.1/car">org.apache.geronimo.configs/jasper/2.2-SNAPSHOT/car</artifact-alias>

I also verified that after installing the compatibility plugin that the entries are added to the artifact-aliases.properties file in var/config:

org.apache.geronimo.configs/jasper//car=org.apache.geronimo.configs/jasper/2.2-SNAPSHOT/car
org.apache.geronimo.configs/jasper/2.1/car=org.apache.geronimo.configs/jasper/2.2-SNAPSHOT/car

Yet, even with these entries, I still get essentially the same error attempting to install samples created for 2.1 in a 2.2-SNAPSHOT server as I had without the artifact-alias entries. I showed the jasper entries above because that is the missing dependency when I attempt to install the Tomcat JSP example plugin created for 2.1 on 2.2-SNAPSHOT (see error below). I had similar results on a 2.1.1 server when I attempted to use a another compatibility plugin mapping 2.1 cars to 2.1.1. Am I missing something obvious?

11:22:45,918 ERROR [PluginInstallerGBean] Unable to install plugin
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.repository.MissingDependencyException: Plugin is not installable on Geronimo 2.2-SNAPSHOT
Missing dependency: org.apache.geronimo.configs/jasper/2.1/car
at org.apache.geronimo.system.plugin.PluginInstallerGBean.validatePlugin(PluginInstallerGBean.java:920) at org.apache.geronimo.system.plugin.PluginInstallerGBean.downloadArtifact(PluginInstallerGBean.java:1081)

Joe