IMHO, the 2.2 space must be seeded from the 2.1 space. The question is
just when to do it. That's why I suggested creating 2.2 content under
some temporary space. Once we have the actual 2.2 space setup (from
2.1 content) then we can move these new pages into 2.2 space. It will
be a lot easier to move just a few pages of the new content then merge
lots of pages of 2.1 content into 2.2 space.

Jarek