On Sep 3, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Ted Kirby wrote:

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 2:37 PM, David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sep 3, 2008, at 11:17 AM, Ted Kirby wrote:

I opened JIRA (GERONIMO-4276) openejb-jar-2.2.xsd missing from the
schema subdirectory of the main Geronimo installation directory to fix
this in Geronimo.

What's the difference between openejb-jar-2.0.xsd that we have in
geronimo-openejb-builder/src/main/xsd and openejb-jar-2.2.xsd? Should we
upgrade the 2.0 to 2.2?

I see geronimo-openejb-2.0.xsd in
geronimo-openejb-builder/src/main/xsd, not openejb-jar-2.2.xsd.

I guess I wasn't clear. I looked in our current code base and found the 2.0 xsd. What is the difference between the 2.0 xsd geronimo uses and the 2.2 xsd from openejb? Should we change geronimo-openejb- builder to use the 2.2 schema?

In general we need a better solution for getting the schemas into the schema directory. Previously I've been thinking that we should enhance the plugin installer to be able to extract files from the classpath as well as the unpacked car, but I'm wondering if it would be sufficient to use perhaps the maven dependency plugin to extract the schemas and put them into the car file directly and then use the existing copy-file functionality to get them unpacked on plugin install. This would eliminate an entire function of
boilerplate that really doesn't belong there anyway.

I can't really comment on your approach, other than to say it sounds
good,and I agree I think a better approach is needed.  The one I put
in the JIRA is not very sophisticated or general.  It address this
specific issue.  There is mechanism to copy schemas, but I could not
figure it out.  Comments/stanzas like this in pom.xml:

          <!--
           HACK: Copy XmlBeans generated schemas.
           -->
           <plugin>
               <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.buildsupport</groupId>
               <artifactId>buildsupport-maven-plugin</artifactId>
               <executions>
                   <execution>
                       <goals>
                           <goal>copy-xmlbeans-schemas</goal>
                       </goals>
                   </execution>
               </executions>
           </plugin>

This is for eclipse support and has nothing to do with the source xsds and only affects the e.g. geronimo-openejb-builder project. What I was suggesting was to use the (I think) maven dependency plugin to extract the schemas from the geronimo-*-builder jars into a appropriate location so they also get included as plain files inside the *-deployer car files so they can be extracted using the existing copy-files functionality in geronimo-plugin.xml. I'm not certain which maven plugin would be best for this but think the dependency plugin is a good place to start looking.

thanks
david jencks

I think support your case as well.

Ted

thanks
david jencks

I made some updates to the web-page
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/openejb-jarxml.html.

I did not have a good idea how to fix this, but I took a shot at it.
David Blevins suggested putting the schema somewhere in
plugins/openejb, so I put it in
plugins/openejb/openejb/src/main/resources/openejb-jar-2.2.xsd.  I
then used geronimo/server/trunk/assemblies/geronimo-boilerplate/ pom.xml
to get the schema into the schema directory.

I am open to discussion and suggestion for a better way to do this.

Thanks,
Ted Kirby