Donald Woods wrote:
In-line.

Joe Bohn wrote:

I've been making some changes to Genesis 1.5-SNAPSHOT to get maven site generation working a little bit better and fix a few other things. All of this is because there were still some maven site generation issues after releasing samples. I think I have things working better now ... but I have some questions:

- Regarding the site.xml ... it looked to me like the original intent was to leverage completely the site.xml from genesis. However, I could never get this working correctly to include the header for the generated site. As a result ... I ended up including some of the same site.xml content in samples such as the skin and banner definition. Is that a problem?

- Genesis: When we were getting samples out the door I ended up including some temporary junk in the sample pom/site. I've now removed this and made some minor changes to genesis/branches/genesis-1.x. Should I look at releasing Genesis 1.5 until 2.0 is complete or should we put all emphasis on 2.0? What is the current status of 2.0? BTW .. I also noticed that generating a site for genesis 2.0-SNAPSHOT itself has some issues .... something else to look into.

Yes, we should release 1.5, so future maintenance releases of existing 2.0/2.1 server, samples and specs can use it (there will be a 2.1.4 Server release, just a mater of when...)

I was leaning that way too. In my very poorly worded sentence below I intended to say "I can create a Genesis 1.5 rc and get that up for a vote". I'll go ahead and do that now. If there are any objections to that we can deal with in the vote/discussion.

- Specs: I've also made some similar changes locally for specs. I think these will produce more correct maven sites. However, the would require changes to depend on a newer Genesis and would require releasing a new specs-parent (1.6). I don't want to include these snapshot dependencies which would hinder the ability to release specs for now ... so I'm waiting on the Genesis decision. If we want to push out a Genesis 1.5 rc and get that up for vote.

General: Is this really worth the effort? It seems that we haven't put much of an emphasis on maven sites. Is this because there were problems generating them or because we don't see much value? Most of what we have out there now is 2 years old (see http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/maven-generated-documentation.html). It think there are some concerns of how useful these are, particularly for multi-project release (like server). The site information generated is per project and doesn't provide a good overview. IIUC, this can be aggregated for some if not all things (like javadoc). In the past we have provided independent javadoc in addition to the site (which I suspect is why, I suspect that the latest javadoc available for the server from our site if for 2.0.1). Should we focus energy on getting independent javadoc release, improve maven site generation and leverage that for javadoc/xrefs, or both?

Some users have asked for updated javadoc, so lets give it one more try before we abandon site generation.

FYI, I'm also looking into what we need to do to update the javadoc on the website (independent of the maven site). I'd love to eliminate one of these but in the until we can get a server site generated I think it makes sense to release some freah javadoc for 2.1.3.

Joe