On Dec 4, 2008, at 1:45 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

Kevan Miller wrote:

At one point we discussed renaming these artifacts as geronimo artifacts (e.g. org/apache/geronimo/patched/jasper/6.0.18-G678601/ jasper-6.0.18-G678601.jar ). Would this be a better technique for solving the issue?

I'm concerned this pushes us toward forking the code as well. Would that require that we maintain source poms with the appropriate package names and versions and a source svn from which to build the artifacts? At the moment we bypass all of this by simply renaming the jars as we check them into our repo. Maybe that is already an issue, but it seems that releasing these as independent entities makes them more public and subject to more scrutiny (and possible mis-use by other projects).

I don't know that it would require a radical departure from what we're doing today. I'm not suggesting that we swizzle java package names (just the artifact names and poms).

It does make them more public, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. IMO, it's more or less equivalent to what we're doing, currently, and fixes the silly build dependency issues that we've created for ourselves.