On Jan 28, 2009, at 12:07 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
What does git have that svn doesn't which makes you so interested in
the subject?

IIUC, the major advantages of GIT are:

* offline commits - you can commit changes, even if online.
* cheap branching - this would make it much simpler for individuals to create private local branches and work on implementing a particular feature, without interfering with other development they might be working on in the same code branch. * fast merging - given the cheap branching, you need to do a lot of merging, which GIT is supposed to do very well

GIT would not be a replacement of SVN. The GIT repositories are actually mirroring svn. GIT would just be a new tool for accessing our code.

There are some usages of GIT that would not fit well into an Apache project. For instance, I would not want to see project members using GIT as a private means of sharing code updates. Ultimately, code needs to get into our svn repo -- that's where we should be sharing code.

Why do you have a problem with users sharing code via their own GIT repos? I guess I can kinda see your concern, but I'd expect folks with significant changes to the codebase to want to share their GIT repos with others *before* pushing those changes back into SVN.

Barring any objections, I'm going to request that Geronimo be added to the GIT mirrors later this week.

No objections here, so far I really like GIT, only thing I don't like is the huge wait while I setup my local repo due to the crazy ASF SVN singleton repository.

--jason