What I meant was that geronimo has full control of artifact deployment
when user is deploying through the geronimo supported deployment
mechanism.  You are right that a bundle can use
BundleContext.install() to install any bundle at any time, but that
doesn't mean it will work or it is supported.   Even with RFC 66, a
bundle that uses BundleContext.install() to install a war would fail
only if they use the webbundle: url schema and use it correctly.

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, Geronimo does not necessarily have full control of when a WAB bundle is
> installed.  Any other bundle can use BundleContext.install() to install any
> bundle at any time, and a compliant RFC 66 implementation needs to be able
> to recognize that a WAB has been installed and react to it.

I believe the RFC 66 impl only needs to recognize a WAB is
starting/stopping (not installed) and react to it.

> The webbundle:
> URL scheme is for installing a WAR (not a WAB) and performs a conversion
> into a WAB bundle that is then processed by the extender when the converted
> bundle is started.  The extender only takes control once a bundle containing
> the appropriate header manifest information has been started, at which point
> strategies that rely on altering the content of the bundle will not work.

Right, I agree with what you said here, but I am not proposing to do
something with the extender.  I am proposing another url handler which
is invoked when the bundle is installed and before the bundle is
resolved/starting.   I don't think what I am proposing has any
conflict which what RFC 66 describes.

Lin