On Oct 18, 2009, at 5:10 AM, Quintin Beukes wrote:

What exactly will be the affect OSGi will have on Geronimo?

We don't know yet. We hope it will make classloading simpler and generally make everything more flexible and interoperable.

Will it simply replace the plugin architecture?

Hard to tell. We might decide to just use blueprint, but I think that would really change or eliminate the deployers and make all the work they do happen each time you start the apps' bundles. Right now we have more lifecycle states in plugins than are easily accessible in blueprint. I want to get the server working before deciding what to do about this.

Felix/karaf has a "feature" idea which is kind of like our transitive dependency installation via geronimo-plugin.xml, but doesn't include the extracting of resources from bundles. Maybe we can enhance their idea so we can use it. Also, AFAICT they don't have an idea of artifact-aliases. Again, maybe they'd like our idea.

And how will it, if at all, affect gbeans?

At the moment we are keeping gbeans pretty much the same as before, although there a a couple new special attributes, namely Bundle and BundleContext, that you can get injected automatically. We definitely need more osgi integration in some way. Two possibilities that I know of are:

-- keep gbeans, and provide a way to expose them as osgi services via an annotation and/or GBeanInfo flag.
-- drop gbeans and move everything over to blueprint.

I don't think I know enough about osgi and blueprint to say what direction we should go in yet.

thanks
david jencks

Quintin Beukes