On Nov 15, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Ivan wrote:

Hi,
The dependencies of Geronimo plugins are managed by DependencyManager, it will start all the dependent bundles before starting the plugin bundle. But how are dependencies of those 3rd parties' bundles managed ? For example, wadi-core needs to import some CGLIB's packages, how does Geronimo make sure that cglib bundle is started before wadi-core ? In the schema of geronimo- plugin.xml, I found the dependencyType could still has depdency children list. Is this for that use ? But I did not find that DependencyManager handles it.

the dependency nesting is an unfortunate leftover from my attempt to get a one-classloader-per-jar system to work. I need to remove it from trunk.

Only geronimo plugins include the geronimo-plugin.xml that the dependency manager reads. The car-maven-plugin is supposed to follow maven transitive dependencies to fill this out so all required bundles will be loaded. The needed bundles are all supposed to end up as top level dependencies in geronimo-plugin.xml.

Since many projects rely on jars that are not osgi bundles, we often need to exclude the original dependencies in the dependencyManagement for the 3rd party jar and explicitly include a suitable bundle as a direct dependency in an appropriate pom.

hope this helps

Ivan