On Jan 25, 2010, at 1:35 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2010, at 6:41 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:
>
>> We should be putting some thought on what the Geronimo deliverables are in
>> the web profile world.  I think for the most part, this should be just a
>> different assembly that assembles a smaller set of components.  The one
>> additional configuration that is probably going to be needed is an EJB Lite
>> configuration that would be used by the Web Profile assembly.  This should
>> not be a big delta over what we have, but it does increase the number of
>> assemblies that we end up releasing.  Are there other options we should be
>> working at?
>
> I think we might already have too many assemblies :-)
>
> Ideally when the osgi integration settles down we will have an even better
> way than in 2.2 for extending a framework server or assembling custom
> servers.  I'm cautiously in favor of making the "minimal" tomcat and jetty
> servers support the web profile and having smaller servers be custom
> assemblies or based on the framework server.

Agreed that we don't want 2 additional assemblies. Replacing the "minimal"
servers with "web profile" equivalents seems reasonable to me.

I think users would find it convenient if an assembly could contain multiple
configuration files. A full EE6 assembly could be invoked with a framework,
minimal, web profile, or full EE6 configuration. Similarly, a web profile could
contain framework and minimal configurations, also.