This vote is NOT CANCELED.  It turns out, 2.2 is more sensitive to the
plugin install and you must restart the server before accessing any
console code, such as the System Modules portlet.  Also, a clean server
shutdown/restart instead of Ctrl+C may be required.

After installing a clean 2.2 server and using "geronimo.sh stop" right
after the plugin was installed, everything is working fine now.

-Donald