On Mar 3, 2010, at 12:58 AM, Delos wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Johannes suggested that GEP make release more frequently. The reason is user
> may get new fixes earlier, instead of waiting for next release together with
> Geronimo server. In this way, it will be more convenient for GEP to provide
> new improvement, such as support for eclipse of latest version. To support
> it, the version number of GEP has to be redesigned.
>
> We need to add qualifier segment to the version number, such as 2.2.0.0,
> 2.2.0.1 and 2.2.0.2. Then, for each release of Geronimo server, GEP version
> will contains server version number as prefix and qualifier segment as 0. For
> GEP release in future, the qualifier of its version number will increase by 1
> until server announce a new release. For example, for Geronimo server 2.2.0,
> GEP version will be 2.2.0.0; if GEP has to announce a new release after that,
>  its version will be 2.2.0.1.
>
> In general, GEP version will evolve as below
> 1) Version number of GEP will contain four digitals
> 2) If there is a G server release, GEP will announce a new release for it.
> GEP version number is three digitals of server version number suffixed with .0
> 3) GEP may have several maintenance releases. Only last digital increase by 1
> for maintenance releases version number.
>
> Johannes, please correct me, if there is any mistake in my description.
>
> Could you express your attitude toward Johannes' suggestion?

Hi Delos,
More frequent releases would certainly be a good thing. I don't see how anybody
would object to that.

Maybe I don't understand the issue (e.g. interdependencies between GEP and G).
However, to my knowledge, there's nothing that requires GEP version numbers to
stay exactly in sync with Geronimo server releases. So, I'm not sure why 4
version numbers are a *hard* requirement. So, GEP 2.2.x would indicate that it
was built for a G 2.2.y server. You just wouldn't know how 'x' compares to 'y'.
But a simple practice would be to get the latest GEP 2.2.x release.

I will note that this proposal doesn't work too well for users of previous
versions of the Geronimo server. What versions of G 2.1.x would a GEP 2.2.y.z
correspond to? Or are you suggesting that G 2.1 users should use a GEP 2.1.x
adapter?

That said, if you, other GEP devs, and especially GEP users would find this
version scheme useful, then it sounds good to me.