The upload to Nexus doesn't use scp - it uses https.

There is a Maven 2.0.11 out. Have you checked if the "bugs" are fixed there?

If you want to include enforcer settings in the staging and release
profiles to require 2.2.1 for those two, where artifacts are being
signed and uploaded, then I'd be okay with that, but I don't want to
require normal users who want to build and test patches to upgrade to
2.2.1, as that could cause some users problems if they are using Maven
integration in Eclipse or a third-party IDE based on Eclipse that
doesn't have the latest Eclipse plugins available.

-Donald