On Wednesday 24 March 2010 9:44:12 pm Ivan wrote:
> Hi,
>     Just trying the latest Geronimo 3.0 build, get a CNF exception for the
> XMLInputFactory, seems that wstx-asl shipped is not a bundle.
>     I am thinking that since JRE 1.6 contains the API and the default
> implementation, do we still need to ship another one ?

Well, I would say get rid of stax-api, but keep wstx.   I think the 4.x
versions of woodstox are bundles.  If not, ServiceMix has bundles for them.

The parser in the JDK sucks from a performance standpoint.   We recently tried
to use the JDK parser in CXF and the complete test run took nearly 25% longer.

Adding woodstox back in brought it right back down to the normal times.
Testing on "real" web services backed that up.

Basically, the in JDK Stax parser will work, but woodstox is so much faster.
If you aren't doing anything performance critical with XML, not using woodstox
might be OK.

--
Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org