On Jun 9, 2010, at 7:48 PM, Donald Woods wrote:

> Now that I have the initial web profile assemblies created and hooked
> into our TCK harness, I'd like to circle back around on this.
>
> Personally, I like Option #1 - Upgrade and rename minimal assemblies to
> EBA based assemblies.  This way, all of the assemblies we build and
> release will support the Aries EBA programming model.  Users can choose
> to build their own custom assemblies if they choose and leave out the
> EBA and WAB support if they do not require it.  Also, it looks like we
> will have to add a few more modules into the web profile assemblies to
> handle some of the TCK tests, along with missing console, monitoring
> agent, clustering, .... which will probably make those assemblies grow
> from the current 65MB to more like 80MB.

The last time I checked (over a month ago), I seem to recall that an EBA
assembly was pulling in components that I didn't think belonged in an EBA
assembly (e.g. ActiveMQ). Was that fixed/changed? On that note, I recall the
OSGi EEG is looking at adding Message Driven Services. So, "EBA" is going to be
a moving target overtime... And may not always be a "minimal" environment.

I can imagine users being interested in WAB, EBA, Java EE Web, and Java EE Full
functionality. I'm not sure that a multitude of assemblies is where we want to
end up, however. I'm sure we don't want to be building 8 separate assemblies.

I've mentioned this before, but I would like to consider packaging multiple
configs (or allowing an assembly to easily run a subset of the installed
functionality). Something like:

geronimo run -c wab-config.xml
geronimo run -c eba-config.xml
etc.