Yes, there are various testsuite options, including os (windows, unix,
mac) and 32 v 64 bit. Perhaps ideally it would run on all of them.
There are platform differences on the mac.  A big one is
Eclipse->preferences on mac vs. window->preferences on windows.  This
affects the testsuite test cases. The testsuite was developed on
windows 32.  I would say initially running the testsuite on windows 32
is a good start, and probably sufficient, certainly until it works on
mac.  I am not familiar with SWTBOT.  I did some investigation with
some knowledgeable folks, and Abbot still seems a reasonable choice.
However, I think we are using an older level of Abbot.  I think we
should upgrade to the latest Abbot levels, which are early 2009, but
this is also a future item, I think.  If SWTBOT is better or folks
want to use it, that seems fine with me.  We do have an investment in
Abbot for the existing testsuite.  See
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/geronimo-eclipse-plugin-gep-testsuite.html
for testuite info.

Ted Kirby