To make this clear, and allow me to ask a question, let's look at an example
case study, and tell me if this is how it will happen.

A Geronimo User is running G2.2 and want to deploy a G3.0 server side-by-side.
User has a web application with the deployment plan "WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml"
To be able to deploy to both servers, you are suggesting the User needs a second
deployment plan "WEB-INF/geronimo-web_3.0.0.xml".
After which, during the User's testing of G3.0.0, G3.0.1 is released and the
User upgrades to G3.0.1.

Are you saying the User needs to either rename "WEB-INF/geronimo-web_3.0.0.xml"
to "WEB-INF/geronimo-web_3.0.1.xml", or create a new deployment plan as
"WEB-INF/geronimo-web_3.0.1.xml"?

That sounds fine to me for small case scenarios like this.

Can I ask just for the sake of asking, assuming we are not removing schema
elements of the deployment plan between maintenance revisions, is it sufficient
to recognize the deployment plan by minor revision instead of by maintenance
revision?

So instead of "WEB-INF/geronimo-web_3.0.0.xml" and
"WEB-INF/geronimo-web_3.0.1.xml", the deployment plan file
"WEB-INF/geronimo-web_3.0.xml" would suffice and cover both cases.

-RG