I am going to start working on this document for G3.0
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC30/configuring-virtual-host-in-tomcat.html

In addition to updating what is there, I am going to add additional information on how to deploy a plan with the deployer to configure virtual hosts.

Any comments/suggestions?

I will use this plan, which I have verified works.
-
<module xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2";>
    <environment>
        <moduleId>
            <groupId>org.example.configs.virtualhosts</groupId>
            <artifactId>virtualhost1</artifactId>
            <version>1.0</version>
            <type>car</type>
        </moduleId>
        <dependencies>
            <dependency>
                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.configs</groupId>
                <artifactId>tomcat7</artifactId>
                <type>car</type>
            </dependency>
        </dependencies>
        <hidden-classes/>
        <non-overridable-classes/>
    </environment>
    <gbean name="TomcatVirtualHost_1"
class="org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.HostGBean">
<attribute name="className">org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost</attribute>
        <attribute name="initParams">name=virtualhost1.com
                                     appBase=
                                     workDir=work</attribute>
        <reference name="Engine">
            <name>TomcatEngine</name>