On 04/05/2012 02:49 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

On Apr 5, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Russell E Glaue wrote:

"Clustering features are not available in the current 3.0-beta branch, so add some
profiles to not build it, thus save the build time."

Is commit 1309635 related to this?

Is someone able to explain why WADI Clustering and Plugin Farming are not
available in the 3.0-beta branch? Is it broken?

Hi Russell,
The WADI project seems to be largely dormant. Without anyone willing to bring
the function forward, I don't think anyone has looked at trying to get it to
work on a 3.0 base.

Is WADI important to you?

--kevan

I'm wanting to get Geronimo up in my employer's web farms, and finally getting multiple instance support was a huge step forward for me. But now removing support for clustering is a step backward. We had been planning on its use.

Some mechanism is important to anyone who wants web user sessions to have persistence among multiple clustered/loadbalanced Geronimo servers. And we have had (used to anyway) lots of conversations on the importance of Geronimo clustering capabilities and how to do it.
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/clustering-initial-discussion.html

Yes.., we can use other 3rd party like Terracotta, but that does not make Geronimo enterprise-ready out-of-the-box. And the terracotta plugin is probably not updated for 3.0.
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/clustering-geronimo-with-open-terracotta.html

If we remove WADI support, will we replace it with some other mechanism to share web user sessions among Geronimo instances? Or will we tell users to rely on tomcat's and jetty's native session replication and management? This alternative will not be a clean configuration, since the changes would have manually to go into tomcat and jetty server config files - not deployed as plans.

-RG