Hi, Lewis.

In my use cases I always need a mix between static and dynamic columns.
In my first week I tried to mix a Map over a column family overlapped with
static columns. Didn't work because Gora was not prepared for that (and
indeed needs thinking about it further).

What I do is separate the static columns in one column family (or serveral)
from the dynamic stuff (that goes in a map). One Map is mapped to one
column family in which each column:value is key=>value in the map.
I have several maps depending on my needs, but can be just one big one with
key=column.

What I don't fully understand is the timestamp you talk about, since we
don't handle HBase timestamps. Do you specifically need it?

I'm not quite sure if I answer you :S

Something important to ask is much columns will you store in the column
family?
Since we removed the StateManager, when you modify a map it deletes the
column familiy and sends all the data again to be written (
https://github.com/apache/gora/blob/master/gora-hbase/src/main/java/org/apache/gora/hbase/store/HBaseStore.java#L289),
so adding/removing just one column can be quite killing when persisting
several huge maps. About what volume and write pattern are we talking?

Best,

Alfonso Nishikawa