As you may recall the Apache CMS has been deprecated for over five years now
and will be decommissioned
by July 31, 2021.

I’ve been tasked with moving Gora's website away from the Apache CMS.
I will migrate your website to a Pelican build with GitHub Flavored Markdown
(GFM).
For your reference the already migrated www-site is here
https://github.com/apache/www-site/

The following will occur.
- A new git repository is created. gora-site is preferred.
- CMS mdtext files are converted to md and stored in the content tree.
- Page templates will be converted essentially as is with some minor
improvements.
- Site data feeds are analyzed. If required a data model will be created.
- HTML files (apidocs) built separately are copied into the content tree. I’ll
make a judgement call on
 if these can be wrapped into the template.

The Apache CMS had a cumbersome process of individual checkouts -> staging ->
publishing.
The new branching strategy is as follows:
- main will have the site content sources and any additional docs (like api
docs).
- asf-site will have the production website which is automatically deployed to
gora.apache.org.
 During the migration we will deploy to gora.staged.apache.org
- preview/release will have the website prepared for the next release. You will
add release specific docs to this branch
- preview/release-staging will have the built preview website which is
automatically deployed to gora-release.staged.apache.org

This new plan allows for a redesign of your site without danger of premature
deployment.
If you decide that GFM is not for gora then you can switch to a different
process within a preview branch.

Release steps for the website could be:
- Branch main as preview/release
- Make your updates to preview/release
- Confirm your changes on gora-release.staged.apache.org
- Pull your changes from preview/release to main. gora.apache.org is
automatically updated.

All The Best,
Dave Fisher