Reposted from
http://forums.gradle.org/gradle/topics/obtaining_maven_style_coordinates_for_published_artifacts_via_tooling_api
---
These questions are in reference to
https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-2834

This is right now the highest voted issue for Gradle STS tooling.

As far as I know it is not possible to get information from Gradle Tooling API
about the artifacts that a project creates/publishes.

I was able to implement something that detects when a given Gradle dependencies
with given version (where version is an instance of class
org.gradle.tooling.model.GradleModuleVersion) corresponds to an existing m2e
project in the workspace. If so then the jar dependency is replaced by the
tools with a project dependency.

Issue STS-2834 essentially is asking for the same feature to be implemented for
Gradle -> Gradle dependencies (not just Gradle -> Maven).

I believe that in order to do this we (tools) would need to be able to ask
Gradle tooling API for information about the artifact(s) published by a
project, more specifically, we need somehow to be able to obtain a
GradleModuleVersion for any given Gradle project that publishes a jar with
compiled classes. With this information it would then be possible to remap
Gradle jar dependencies to Gradle projects.

Questions:
1) Am I correct in assuming this information cannot currently be obtained via
tooling API?
2) If 1 => yes, would it be something you would consider adding?

3) Maybe you have a better idea? (I recall a quick discussion about possibly
some way of modeling the IDE workspace and letting Gradle itself do this
remapping).

If it were up to me I would go for option 2 right now. This seems the easiest
thing to implement and also makes it 'symmetrical' with how we already handle
maven projects. Also the feature can be configured or turned on-off via IDE UI
preference pages. But we can certainly discuss about this.

Kris