On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Luke Daley <luke.da...@gradleware.com>wrote:

> On 11/04/2013, at 7:01 AM, Hans Dockter <hans.dock...@gradleware.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Just read in the userguide the new section on Task Ordering:
> http://www.gradle.org/docs/nightly/userguide/more_about_tasks.html#sec:ordering_tasks
> >
> > We describe as a use case for mustRunAfter:
> >
> > Specify that unit tests should always run before integration tests for
> faster feedback, but still allow integration tests to be run without unit
> tests.
> >
> > This is a use case for a future shouldRunAfter relationship. Using
> mustRunAfter here can lead to trouble as it can easily introduce a cyclic
> violation for no good reason.
>
> Can you elaborate on this please.

Let's say you have a corporate plugin with a mustRunAfter relationship:
generateDoc mustRunAfter integrationTest as you want to have the
integrationTest before the long running doc generation. Now one project
need to run integrationTest as it needs to integrate the doc output into
the tests. With a shouldRunAfter relationship this won't be a problem, with
mustRunAfter it will break the build. I think you can come up with many
examples like this.

Hans