Hi

Not sure if this is exactly what you are aiming for, but for OSX
applications, there is also this plugin to create ".app" apps and .dmg
distributions:
http://code.google.com/p/gradle-macappbundle/

I also made a plugin to use launch4j to create a windows .exe installer
which might be related:
http://code.google.com/p/gradle-launch4j/

You are welcome to steal any code that is useful from these if it helps.

Currently these types of installer/launcher plugins do seem to be specific
to the system type. It would be really nice if there was a way to leverage
the commonalities and have them more or less work in a similar way. Maybe
one day you could say:

distributionTypes {
  mainclass=...
  otherCommonStuff=...
  dmg { extra stuff}
  exe { ... }
   rpm { ... }
   deb { ... }
}
and get releasable packages for lots of systems with a minimal amount of
repetition. Meta-plugin maybe?

No idea about the likelihood of this functionality being adopted into the
core gradle, but I would be in favor.

Philip