On 28 Feb 2014, at 11:58 am, Luke Daley <luke.da...@gradleware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since we are now considering Groovy 2 for Gradle 2, I wanted to throw this
> into the conversation…
>
> One of the great additions to Groovy 2.2 was implicit closure coercion for
> Single Abstract Method types. In 2.3 this gets better with closure param type
> inference. This means you can do the following…
>
>  // Setup…
>
>  interface Action<T> {
>    void execute(T thing)
>  }
>
>  class Thing {
>    String name
>  }
>
>  class ThingConfigurer {
>    Thing thing
>    void conf(Action<Thing> action) {
>        action.execute(thing)
>    }
>  }
>
>  def t = new Thing()
>  def tc = new ThingConfigurer(thing: t)
>
>  // The point…
>
>  tc.conf {
>      it.name = "foo"
>  }
>
>  assert t.name == "foo"
>

> That is, closures are implicitly converted to types. This works if the SAM
> has a return type and even for multiple params (and generics are inferred).
>
> This would be great for us because it means we don't have to generate
> overloads at runtime and IDEA at least understands these closure coercion
> rules really well where as it does not understand our runtime overloads. I
> say “would” because it doesn't quite match our pattern of making the param
> the delegate in the Action case.
>
> I think we can still get some benefit out of this for other cases (e.g.
> Test#beforeTest), but I can't find any way to leverage this and avoid our
> runtime generated overloads because of the delegate issue. It's a shame.
>
> The end result, is that we could potentially drop Closure from our API
> completely for Gradle 2 without forcing users to change their buildscripts.
> In the Closure usages that aren't actually used for configure-by-closure
> (e.g. Test#beforeTest) would could replace with real types.

It’s not just build scripts that use the API, it’s also compiled plugins
implemented in Java. Does the coercion also work for compiled plugins
implemented in Groovy 1.8 running under Groovy 2?

Let’s just use the regular deprecate-then-remove approach to remove these
methods. They don’t cause us much pain. We do want to get rid of them, however.

--
Adam Murdoch
Gradle Co-founder